Frequently Asked Questions

Cadw Monuments

1. Can we use our English Heritage, Historic Scotland, Great British Heritage or Manx membership  cards for free/reduced entry to Cadw sites?


2. Can we use our National Trust membership card for free/reduced entry to Cadw sites?

You are unable to use your National Trust membership card to gain free/reduced entry to Cadw sites. There are four National Trust sites in Cadw’s care — National Trust members may enter Cilgerran Castle free of charge on production of a valid membership card. Dinefwr Castle, Segontium Roman Fort and Skenfrith Castle are unstaffed and free of charge.

3. If I have a disability do I get free entry to Cadw sites?

Yes, your companion will also be eligible for free entry to Cadw sites.

4. Can we picnic in the castle/monument?

Yes, you can picnic in outdoor areas at most Cadw sites.

5. Is smoking allowed at Cadw sites?

It is against the law to smoke in enclosed public spaces in Wales. In addition, it is the policy of the Welsh Government not to allow smoking in open spaces or outdoors on Welsh Government owned and occupied land;this policy applies to Cadw monuments.

6. Are dogs allowed at Cadw sites?

Assistance dogs are welcome at all sites and other dogs are also welcome at a number of Cadw's sites across Wales. Visit our 'Days Out' pages on this website or telephone 0300 0256000 for site specific details.

Dogs on leads are welcome at the following sites:

South West Wales

Carreg Coetan Arthur Burial Chamber, Carreg Cennen Castle, Cilgerran Castle, Kidwelly Castle, Lamphey Bishop's Palace, Llansteffan Castle, Llawhaden Castle, Loughor Castle, Neath Abbey, Oxwich Castle, Pentre Ifan Burial Chamber, St Dogmael's Abbey,Talley Abbey, Weobley Castle, Wiston Castle.

West Wales

St Davids Bishop's Palace.

South East Wales

Blaenavon Ironworks, Bulwarks Camp Chepstow, Caerleon Amphitheatre and Barracks, Caerphilly Castle, Caerwent Roman Town, Chepstow Castle, Coity Castle, Grosmont Castle, Hen Gwrt moated site, Newcastle, Ogmore Castle, Raglan Castle, Skenfrith Castle, Tintern Abbey, White Castle.

Mid Wales

Bronllys Castle, Bryntail Lead Mine Buildings, Dolforwyn Castle, Strata Florida Abbey.

North West Wales

Beaumaris Castle (from November 2017), Caer Gybi Roman Fort, Caer Leb, Castell y Bere, Criccieth Castle, Cymer Abbey, Dolbadarn Castle, Holyhead Mountain Hut Circles, Penmon Priory and Dovecote, Penrhos Feliw Standing Stones, Pont Minllyn, Segontium Roman Fort, St Cybi's Well, St Seiriol's Well, Trefignath Burial Chamber, Valle Crucis Abbey.

North East Wales

Basingwerk Abbey, Denbigh Castle, Derwen Churchyard Cross, Ewloe Castle, Flint Castle, Rhuddlan Castle.

Please remember

Dogs must be kept on a lead and under control in public areas at all times.

All dogs are required by law to wear a collar and tag bearing the name and address of the owner. If you are on holiday, it is a good idea to have a temporary tag with your holiday address or mobile telephone number.

No fouling is allowed at any site. Poop bags should be disposed of in a responsible manner away from the monument.

Please be sensitive to the effect of dogs on others, especially children.

There may be certain areas of the monument where dogs are not allowed for health and safety reasons.

7. Are Cadw sites open in the winter?

A small number of Cadw sites are closed in the winter, from 1 November to 31 March. These include Laugharne Castle, Rhuddlan Castle and Rug Chapel. Oxwich Castle is closed from 1 November to 31 March.

Margam Stones is open in the winter for group tours booked in advance by arrangement. (Please refer to the individual site page in the 'Days Out' section of the website for contact details).

Blaenavon Ironworks and Tretower Court and Castle are open on Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays and are closed for the rest of the time.

All other Cadw sites are open in the winter but have shorter opening hours. 

8. Do the monuments close during public and bank holidays holidays?
Yes. All of the monuments both staffed and unstaffed close on 24, 25, 26 December and 1 January (except Carreg Cennen which closes only on Christmas Day and St Winefride's Chapel and Holy Well on 25 and 26 December). Please refer to individual monuments for other closures.

9. Are education visits to Cadw sites free?

Self led visits by education groups attending EU education establishments are free of charge, but must be pre-booked. Cadw also offers several KS2 education programmes which are charged at £2.50 per pupil per half day, including admission. Please see the learning page for further information, booking information and terms and conditions.

10. Is there a tour guide available to take us around the site?

Cadw does not directly employ tour guides at its sites although independent tour guides are present at Caernarfon and Conwy Castles. An audio tour is available at Plas Mawr and is included in the admission price. There is also an audio tour at Carreg Cennen (for a small charge). There are audio posts at Blaenavon Ironworks and Caerwent Roman Town and  Bluetooth technology at Raglan Castle and White Castle.

11. Can we take photographs inside the castle/monument?

Yes. Visitors are welcome to take photographs. When photographs are taken for commercial purposes prior permission must be obtained from Cadw:Visitor and Business Services and a fee will be payable. (Telephone 0300 0257182)

12. Are there baby changing facilities at Cadw sites?

Yes, at some sites — please refer to individual site pages in the 'Days Out' section of this website or telephone the site that you are visiting for further information.

13. Are there toilets at Cadw sites?

There are toilets at some Cadw sites. Please refer to individual site pages in the 'Days Out' section of the website or telephone the site that you are visiting for further information.

14. Do I have to pay for my child to visit Cadw sites?

All children under 5 go free with an adult.

15. What is an 'Explorer Pass' and where can I buy one?

One thing you can depend on is Cadw’s 3 or 7 day explorer passes. They provide a great value way to explore the wealth of historic attractions Wales has to offer.The passes offer individuals families and groups the freedom to explore as many of Cadw’s historic attractions as they wish or can squeeze in during a visit to Wales. The 3 day pass can be used in any 7 day period and the 7 day pass in any 14 days.

Visitors can buy these  directly from staffed sites.

Trade purchases must be made by contacting Visitor and Business Services ( telephone 0300 0256000) or  

16. How do I buy Cadw membership?

You can purchase membership in a number of ways: Call freephone 0800 0743121; buy from one of the staffed monuments or visit  

17. Are flags flown at Cadw monuments?

Yes — at some monuments they are flown all year round. However, there may be occasions when, for safety reasons, they are unable to be flown.

At Cadw’s seasonal monuments, flags are not flown when the monument is closed.

18. What do I do if I find something of archaeological value?

Cadw is unable to take any voluntary donations of archaeological finds. However, the Portable Antiques Scheme is a project to encourage the voluntary recording of archaeological objects found by members of the public in England and Wales. If you happen to find anything you believe is of archaeological significance, you will need to get in touch with the Finds Liaison Officer for Wales, Mark Lodwick. More information about the Portable Antiques Scheme can be found here

Listed Buildings

1. How are buildings chosen for listing?

Buildings are assessed against criteria set out in Welsh Government Circulars 61/96 and 1/98 available to download from the Cadw website.

2. What structures are listed?

Listing relates both to the exterior and interior of a building, to any object or structure fixed to it and any structure within its curtilage which forms part of the land and has done so since before 1 July 1948.

3. What are the gradings used?

I Buildings of exceptional, usually national, interest (currently fewer than 2 per cent of buildings listed in Wales qualify for this grade.
II*   Particularly important buildings of more than special interest.
II    Buildings of special interest which warrant every effort being made to preserve them.

4. What does listing mean in practice?

As well as providing a ready reference of buildings of importance to the nation’s heritage, listing provides an added level of protection – listed building consent. For further details please refer to Cadw’s booklet ‘Listed Building Consent’. A limited number of listed buildings may qualify for a grant from Cadw to aid repair work but this is not automatic. For details of the financial assistance available please refer to Cadw’s booklet ‘Historic Buildings and Conservation Area Grants’.

5. What information is contained within the lists?

• The street, name or number of the building.
• Its grade.
• A reference number and the National Grid reference.
• A brief description of the building, history and sometimes  the reason for listing .
• A reference, where applicable, to other published information on the building and its importance.
The description is primarily intended as a means of identification. It is not a definitive list of what is included within the listing (see FAQ No.2)

6. What is the role of local authorities in listing?

The relevant local authority is consulted before a building is listed and invited to provide any relevant information. When a building is listed, Cadw notifies the local planning authority which serves notice upon the owner and occupier.

7. Where can the lists be seen?

At the offices of the relevant planning or National Park Authority;local libraries may have copies of the lists for their locality;lists for the whole of Wales are held by Cadw and the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Wales.

8. Is it possible to appeal against listing?

There is no statutory right of appeal but anyone with relevant information about a building should forward it to Cadw and request that the listing be reconsidered. Requests for delisting are normally only reconsidered on the basis that the building does not meet the criteria for listing and  if the building is not subject to an  lbc application, an appeal against refusal of consent or enforcement action by the lpa in relation to unauthorised works or neglect.

9. How do I complain about the condition of a listed building?

Contact the Conservation Officer or the Conservation Department of the local planning authority (ie the Council or National Park Authority) in your area.

Scheduled Ancient Monuments

1. What is a scheduled ancient monument?

Over 4,000 of the most important ancient monuments in Wales are included on the Welsh Government’s schedule of ancient monuments. These sites are legally protected and referred to as ‘Scheduled ancient monuments.’

2. How are sites selected for scheduling?

Cadw’s Historic Environment Inspectorate is responsible for identifying which monuments may be scheduled.

3. Is there a right of appeal against scheduling?

There is no statutory right of appeal.

4. Who is notified that the monument has been scheduled?

• The owner(s).
• The relevant local authority and national park.
• The Countryside Council for Wales.
• The coal authority;  electricity, water and gas companies.
• The forestry authority.
• The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Wales.
• The regional Welsh Archaeological Trust.
• The Council for British Archaeology.

5. What activities are controlled by scheduling?

It is an offence to carry out works to a scheduled monument without the prior approval of the Welsh Government through an application for scheduled monument consent to Cadw.  Works covered include any demolition, repair, alteration, addition, flooding and any excavation or ground disturbance.  Certain works, including some agricultural and gardening works, may be exempt from the need for consent but you are advised to consult Cadw to make sure.  

6. How is an application for scheduled monument consent made?

Information on how to apply for scheduled monument consent, along with application forms, can be obtained from Cadw and from the website.

7. What grants are available for scheduled ancient monuments?

The amount of grant available is flexible but is typically offered at a rate of up to 50% of the total cost of works for the preservation, maintenance and management of ancient monuments.

Such grants can cover a range of works such as repair and conservation, structural survey, interpretation as well as positive management works to stabilise the condition of a monument.  

Further information on grants and management agreements can be obtained from Cadw.

8. What sources of advice are available on ancient monuments?

Officers of Cadw’s Historic Environment branch can provide experts advice and its regionally based field monument wardens and inspectors of ancient monuments can meet you on site when appropriate.

9. How do I report damage or query the condition of a scheduled ancient monument?

Contact Cadw’s Historic Environment branch which will be able to provide advice on the condition of a scheduled monument when last inspected and which will visit and investigate reports of damage, involving the police where appropriate.

10. May metal detectors be used at scheduled ancient monuments?

It is an offence to use metal detectors on a scheduled ancient monument without prior consent from the Welsh Government. Because of the importance of scheduled archaeology consent will rarely be granted if it will result in ground disturbance and will usually only be permitted as part of wider archaeological research.

11. Why are some buildings listed and others scheduled?

As a broad rule of thumb (although there are exceptions to the rule) buildings are listed if they are roofed and are capable of a re-use. Monuments which are scheduled are archaeological sites which are not capable of a use. Some structures may have a dual designation, in which case the scheduling system takes precedence. Scheduling is discretionary but listing is not. Buildings are required to be listed if they meet the criteria.  


Can Cadw provide monetary sponsorship for a personal project?

Cadw is part of the Welsh Government, where budgets are arranged for each financial year based on the departments’ operational needs. As a result, there is little scope for allocating monies for personal sponsorship.