Wednesday 23 October 2013
Caerphilly Castle will be holding its annual Christmas extravaganza, the Caerphilly Christmas Fair. Visitors are invited to come along and celebrate one of the biggest events of the year at Caerphilly Castle. The popular event will this year include medieval re-enactments, delicious food and drink stalls, Christmas shopping for medieval crafts, fun-filled activities for children, and a visit from Father Christmas — all guaranteed to grow the Christmas spirit.
To help prepare us for Christmas, Castell Coch and Plas Mawr are hosting Christmas Wreath Making Workshops. Visitors can join the workshop to make natural wreaths and other festive decorations, all made out of natural materials.
Castell Coch is also hosting its annual An Evening with Dickens event. Enjoy a seasonal assortment of readings from the works of Charles Dickens, followed with a festive Victorian buffet supper in the banqueting hall.
Blaenavon Ironworks will be taking visitors on a journey through Christmas past at its Christmas at the Ironworks event with storytelling and festive music in the cottages of Stack Square. There will be a special appearance from BBC Coal House families who will share memories of their stay in the cottages. For those feeling creative join the Elves Workshop to make Christmas decorations, and Father Christmas will be there to hear those Christmas wishes.
At Beaumaris Castle visitors can experience a traditional Victorian Christmas. A day of Christmas and Welsh Plygain carols and refreshments will bring in Christmas cheer to the castle chapel throughout the day.
Cadw Christmas events
- Late Night Christmas Shopping, Raglan Castle, 27 November, 4.30pm–8pm
- A Victorian Christmas, Beaumaris Castle, 30 November, 10.30am–4pm
- Christmas Wreath-Making Workshop, Plas Mawr, 30 November and 1 December, 11am–4pm
- Christmas Wreath-Making Workshop, Castell Coch, 1 December, 11am–4pm
- Caerphilly Christmas Fair, Caerphilly Castle, 7 and 8 December, 9.30am–5pm
- Christmas with Dickens, Castell Coch, 13 and 14 December, 7pm
- Christmas at the Ironworks, Blaenavon Ironworks, 15 December, 10.30am–4pm