Emlyn was originally one of the ancient districts of Wales becoming part of Deheubarth in 950ad. However, during the 12thcentury, it was made part of the Marcher lands controlled by the Normans. In Brut y Tywysogion (Chronicle of the Princes), it is recorded that Llewelyn captured the Norman ‘new castle’ at Emlyn in 1215 as well as nearby Cilgerran. It is most likely that this castle was in the process of being built by William Marshal when he regained the lordships of Emlyn and Cilgerran in 1204. There doesn’t appear to be any earlier mentions of a castle on this site prior to the Marshal period of control. It was probably rebuilt by Maredudd ap Rhys in 1240 and continued by his son Rhys in 1287.
The site is currently managed by the community council on behalf of Carmarthenshire County Council www.carmarthenshire.gov.uk.