Neath Abbey and Gatehouse
Originally founded as a daughter house of Savigny in 1130, the abbey was absorbed into the Cistercian order in 1147. Fairly complete remains of the abbey survive, together with the sixteenth-century mansion raised within its precincts.
Conservation work started in April 2014 and is still ongoing. Restrictions on access are in place.
Exceptional rainfall during the summer and wide extremes of weather during the winter period has resulted in damage to the abbey's stone work at a high level in the restricted area, which includes the under croft; this has brought forward access restrictions.
Cadw is carrying out surveys to establish the full extent of work required and will be commencing a programme to consolidate and conserve the abbey. Access to the remaining areas of the abbey grounds is unaffected.
Please check these pages for further updates.
1 April 2016 - 31 March 2017
Daily 10.00am - 4.00pm
Last admission 30 minutes before closing
Closed 24, 25, 26 December and 1 January
Adult - Am ddim/Free
Family - Am ddim/Free
Senior citizens, students and children under 16 - Am ddim/Free
Disabled and companion - Am ddim/Free
Facilities and information
View all visitor information
- Under 16s must be accompanied by an adult
- Dogs on leads welcome
- No smoking
- Cadw do not allow drone flying from or over its guardianship sites, except by contractors commissioned for a specific purpose, who satisfy stringent CAA criteria, have the correct insurances and are operating under controlled conditions.
Postcode SA10 7DW
Road 1m (1.6km) W of Neath, off A465. Neath 2m (3.2km)