Simple maintenance will not normally require approval even if your building is listed or located in a conservation area. However, formal consents or licences may be needed if necessary works to your historic building will involve:

  • extensive repairs to or alteration of your building;
  • the pruning or removal of established trees;
  • excavations that may disturb archaeological deposits; or
  • the disturbance of bats or other wildlife.

The following paragraphs outline the permissions that you may need to obtain before undertaking substantial work on your historic building. If you are in any doubt or have any questions, contact your local authority's building conservation officer or planning department for guidance.

Listed buildings

Any work that affects the character of a listed building requires listed building consent. Like-for-like repair is normally permitted, but because interpretations of what exactly is meant by like-for-like may vary, it is always a good idea to seek the advice of the local planning authority’s conservation officer in any case involving a listed building or conservation area. It is also important to recognize that buildings within the curtilage of a listed building are treated as if they themselves were listed. This often affects farm buildings, which may be in the curtilage of a listed farmhouse.

For further information, follow the related link to our Listed Building Consent page.

Planning permission and building regulations

If you are planning work on a historic building that goes beyond the realm of routine maintenance, planning permission and building regulation approval may need to be obtained from the local planning authority. If your building is listed, these should be sought at the same time as listed building consent. Listed building consent is additional to, and separate from, planning permission. The granting of planning permission will not necessarily mean that listed building consent will be granted. Your local building conservation officer or planning department will be able to advise you on how to proceed.


Local planning authorities have the power to protect trees and woodlands in the interests of amenity by making tree preservation orders. This means that consent must be obtained from the authority before a tree can be cut down, topped or lopped. Many trees in conservation areas are the subject of tree preservation orders, but there is also special provision for trees in conservation areas which are not subject to tree preservation orders. Before you undertake any work to trees, be sure to contact your local planning authority.


Advice should be sought from the relevant regional archaeological trust if work on or around a historic building - drainage improvements, for instance - is likely to disturb buried archaeology. This is particularly relevant where a building is located close to a scheduled monument. Any work that directly affects a scheduled monument will require scheduled monument consent and Cadw should be consulted at an early stage.

For further information, follow the related link to our Scheduled Monument Consent page.


Many old buildings are used as bat roosts. Full protection is accorded to bats by UK legislation and European directives.They make illegal the intentional killing, injury or handling of any bat or the intentional damage, destruction or obstruction of access to any place that a bat uses for shelter or protection. Building maintenance and repairs can be undertaken with care, but a licence will be needed if work will disturb or harm bats, or cause damage or restrict access to their roosts. Moreover, certain chemicals are banned as they are harmful to bats.

If you suspect that your building is being used as a bat roost, seek advice from Natural Resources Wales before undertaking any work, or using any timber treatment, fly killers or other chemicals near the possible roost. Natural Resources Wales will also be able to offer guidance on the application procedure for a bat licence.

For further information on bats in historic buildings, visit the website of the Bat Conservation Trust (BCT).