For the first time, Cadw is running an open call for a talented designer or illustrator to help develop a new product range, for the launch of The Heritage Collection, inspired by the Drawing Room at Castell Coch.
The brief: We are looking to work with a designer/illustrator for 4 months and have a maximum budget of £3,000. The successful designer will have;
- A high level of aesthetic vision and whose work demonstrates excellent interpretation of the subject; this includes a strong understanding of Cadw’s core values and the importance of creating an authentic design
- Experience in creating artwork for a variety of products; including textile, ceramic and print
- The range of products launched in the shop at Castell Coch and on Cadw’s online shop. If successful the Collection may roll out to other sites.
The Heritage Collection aims to launch in March 2020 and will focus initially on the Castell Coch range (approximately 25 different products including scarves, bags, plates, mugs, notebooks, umbrellas, tea-towels, tin candles, socks etc.).
The Retail Manager will be able to provide advice on supplier selection but the designer will liaise directly with the supplier and work to professional specifications regarding packaging and delivery.
Designers should submit an application outlining their experience in no more than 1,000 words including:
- Previous design work for consumer products / giftware
- Previous work in the heritage / arts sector
- Two examples of different design concepts based on the Castell Coch Drawing Room
- Total costs for duration of the project — 1 November 2019 to 1 March 2020
All designs will be owned by Cadw Crown Copyright.
Applications will be evaluated against the below criteria:
- Commercial potential
Submission deadline: 18 October 2019 at 4pm
Shortlist by: 18 October 2019
Interview/Presentation: 23 October 2019
Applications should be sent to Kate.Grindal@gov.wales