Unstaffed heritage sites: a gradual reopening
Please visit respectfully, and responsibly.
In line with the gradual easing of Welsh Government lockdown restrictions, we are now able to start reopening a selection of our unstaffed, outdoor monuments.
Following thorough risk assessments and the introduction of new site safety measures (where necessary), visitors will be able to return to selected unstaffed Cadw sites as of Monday 6 July for daily exercise and wellbeing.
Please check our list of open unstaffed sites by local authority area on the tabs below.
- Barclodiad y Gawres Burial Chamber
- Bodowyr Burial Chamber
- Bryn Celli Ddu
- Caer Gybi Roman Fortlet
- Caer Leb
- Caer y Twr hillfort
- Capel Garmon Burial Chamber
- Capel Lligwy
- Din Dryfol Burial Chamber
- Holyhead Mountain Hut Circles
- Penmon Dovecote
- Penmon Priory
- Penrhos Feilw Standing Stones
- Presaddfed Burial Chamber
- St Cybi's Well
- Trefignath Burial Chamber
- Tregwehelydd Standing Stone
- Ty Mawr Standing Stone
- Tŷ Newydd Burial Chamber
We are working hard to reopen as many of our unstaffed, outdoor heritage properties as possible and will continue to update this webpage as other sites reopen in coming weeks and months.
In order for us to keep this selection of sites open and safe for everyone, we are asking our visitors to help keep them safe by visiting respectfully and responsibly.
To help with this, we have developed the following guidelines for visiting our unstaffed sites:
- help keep Wales safe by avoiding extensive travel — we ask that you only visit within your local authority area
- maintain a distance of at least 2m from all other visitors outside your household
- do not meet up in large groups of more than six people from one other household
- avoid high risk activities on site, including BBQs and the consumption of alcohol
- follow the guidelines set by Welsh Government at all times, taking any changes into account as the weeks and months progress.
Thank you for your patience and cooperation — we look forward to welcoming you back to more of our heritage sites in coming months — as soon as it is safe to do so.
If you visit one of our unstaffed sites, please tell us about your experience by filling out our online survey. Your feedback will help us keep your local site open and safe for your local community.
If you have any questions, please visit our unstaffed sites FAQ page or call our team on 03000 256000.