Many of Cadw’s monuments have floodlights and are a spectacular sight when lit overnight.
The chance to change the usual colour of these lights offers a brilliant opportunity for charities to raise awareness about specific causes.
The following sites have floodlights that Cadw owns and operates, and therefore can potentially be lit up in different colours.
We have standard external floodlights at:
- Beaumaris Castle
- Caernarfon Castle
- Caerphilly Castle
- Chepstow Castle
- Conwy Castle
- Criccieth Castle
- Harlech Castle
- Kidwelly Castle
- Llansteffan Castle
- Denbigh Castle
We have colour changing LED external floodlights at:
- Caerphilly Castle
- Castell Coch
Guidelines for historic sites with standard floodlighting
The standard external floodlights at these sites can be covered with lighting gel sheets to change the colour of the projected light. Please note that due to regular requests for lighting up sites for charities, the costs of the gels used to cover the floodlights will need to be covered by the responsible charitable organisation. A qualified lighting contractor must be consulted on all requests and they would be responsible for the materials and installation / removal of your request. Fees would be payable to them for this service in addition to the fee payable to Cadw below.
Guidelines for sites with colour changing LED floodlights
- we only accept requests from registered charities or not for profit local groups
- we require 30 days notice to light up any of our monuments
- there is a £100 admin fee to light up the castles in addition to any fees payable directly to contractors as specified above
- a maximum of one lighting request per site per calendar month will be agreed by Cadw and lighting requests will be considered in order of the date submitted to us. One request per charity per annual year will be considered by Cadw
- requests will only be granted following clearance from colleagues within Cadw
- all press releases regarding the light projection would need to be sent to Cadw in addition to pictures of the monument once it is lit up. We may share these across our social media platforms and our website
- non-charitable requests will be considered by our Senior Management Team where there is a community benefit
- additional requirements and documents may be needed depending on your application
- Cadw reserves the right to refuse or cease any lighting requests or lighting activity at any time.
How to apply:
Requests to light up Cadw sites to be sent to our Cadw Marketing e-mail address email@example.com.
Please note that only charitable requests will be considered and enquiries for commercial, political or lobbying projections and lighting will not be considered.