Laugharne’s history stretches back over nine centuries. Founded in 1116, it was part of a chain of Norman coastal castles from Chepstow in the east to Pembroke in the west. But it was never safe from attack by Welsh chieftains.
The original earthwork fortress was captured by the Lord Rhys, self-proclaimed ‘rightful prince of south Wales’, in 1189 and again by Prince Llywelyn ap Iorwerth in 1215. Even after the de Brian family built the rugged stone castle we see today in the mid-13th century it was devastated by Prince Llywelyn ap Gruffudd.
Its Tudor rescue was short-lived. After a week-long siege by Parliamentary forces in the Civil War Laugharne was captured for the final time and partly dismantled – never to be occupied again.