This site is now open to view or visit.
In line with Welsh Government advice and guidance, we have started to reopen a selection of our unstaffed heritage sites in a safe and controlled way — for the benefit of local communities.
We are pleased to announce that this monument is now open and is free to view or visit with no pre-booking required. Please adhere to our new visitation guidelines, act responsibly and be respectful towards the site and its local area at all times.
Site opening times, parking and other available facilities at our reopened sites may have changed. Please check this site’s webpage carefully for specific updates.
For further information on what to expect and how to stay safe during your visit, please read our FAQs page.
Conservation works 2020-2022
With strict social distancing measures and new health and safety procedures firmly in place, the heritage conservation project at Coity Castle will resume this week (15 June).
The health and safety of everyone involved is our top priority & we will continue to take all necessary steps to ensure that each individual feels safe while working on site.
Romantic ruined castle, a storyboard in stone
Originally founded in the early 12th century, Coity’s remains are a centuries-spanning jumble of architectural styles that reflect its lengthy occupation. Begun as an earthwork castle around AD 1100, the stone keep and curtain wall were late 12th-century additions. Major rebuilding took place in the 14th century and again in the 15th, after Owain Glyndŵr laid siege to the castle during his uprising against English rule. Further modifications were made in the early 16th century, including the addition of a third floor.
Though the castle is now a ruin, remaining features from each era shed light on its long and storied life.