This site is now open to view or visit.
In line with Welsh Government advice and guidance, we have started to reopen a selection of our unstaffed heritage sites in a safe and controlled way — for the benefit of local communities.
We are pleased to announce that this monument is now open and is free to view or visit with no pre-booking required. Please adhere to our new visitation guidelines, act responsibly and be respectful towards the site and its local area at all times.
Site opening times, parking and other available facilities at our reopened sites may have changed. Please check this site’s webpage carefully for specific updates.
For further information on what to expect and how to stay safe during your visit, please read our FAQs page.
Prehistoric art and arrowheads
Though its wedge-shaped 12ft/3.7m by 5ft/1.5m capstone is now partially held up by brick supports, Tŷ Newydd still cuts an impressive sight. The tomb was once covered by a round cairn, now marked out by the small bollards that surround it.
The chamber’s layout suggests that it was built during the Neolithic (New Stone Age). Excavations in 1936 uncovered remains of pottery and an arrowhead from the later Beaker and Bronze Age periods of history. More recently, prehistoric artwork termed ‘cup marks’ have been detected on the capstone. All of this evidence suggests that Tŷ Newydd had a long working life.