Skip to main content

It is no surprise that sites in our care are popular locations for filming and photography, and have been used in the past in a huge variety of productions, including feature films, dramas and popular TV programmes.

Stars including Johnny Depp, Robert Downey Jnr, Jeremy Irons, Tom Hiddleston, Julie Walters and Meg Ryan have all filmed at our sites, as well as Dr Who of course who has been known to land from time to time.

Ffilmio yng Nghastell Coch / Filming at Castell Coch


Non-commercial filming and photography

If you are an individual who wants to film or take photos at our sites for your own, personal use then go ahead! Enjoy the views! The only charges you will incur is the admission fee, and please share your images with us on social media so we can admire your work! Make sure you like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.


Current affairs, news and weather

If you would like to film a current affairs or news programme at a Cadw site please contact Cadw’s Marketing and PR team by e-mailing to arrange.

Derek Brockway Castell Cydweli / Kidwelly Castle

We also ask you to complete our online form, and provide us with a copy of your Public Liability Insurance and agree to our Location Agreement.

Although we understand it may not always be possible, we’d appreciate it if you could endeavour to give us at least 3 days notice so we can make arrangements with our custodians.

Please note that some of the sites are closed over the winter, and it will not always be possible to carry out filming or photography during this time. Visit our days out pages for the sites’ opening hours.


Commercial filming and photography

If you’re interested in filming or taking photos at Cadw sites for commercial purposes please complete this application form, and a member of our commercial team will get back to you. Please note that your form must be submitted at least 15 days before the first day of filming, to give us time to consider and discuss the arrangements with you.

Charges will apply for commercial filming and photography, and costs can be discussed further once the application has been received and considered.

Visit our site specific pages for information including parking arrangements, on-site facilities and access. Please note that if the filming is agreed you will be expected to provide a copy of your Public Liability Insurance, a risk assessment and a signed copy of our Location Agreement.

Photographic Library

The Cadw photographic library holds many images of Cadw’s sites and events. A large number of these images can be viewed and purchased at Images that are Cadw, Welsh Government (Crown Copyright) can be supplied in a digital format (either in TIFF or JPEG formats) upon request. 

A reproduction charge or facility fee may be levied for any images supplied. The transfer of images from Cadw to ‘walesonview’ is an ongoing process, so if you cannot find an image, please contact the Cadw Photographic Library with your request.  If the image is available, the librarian will arrange for its transfer to ‘walesonview’. 

Photographic Library

Cadw, Welsh Government

Plas Carew

Unit 5/7 Cefn Coed

Parc Nantgarw


CF15 7QQ



Educational filming and photography

If you are a student who would like to film or take photos at our sites as part of your course if it’s a small-scale production with four or less people involved which takes place during normal opening hours and does not require any special arrangements, please contact the custodian at the site to let them know. Only admission charges will apply, and we do not need you to complete any further forms. Please note that in a small-scale production only small, hand held, battery powered equipment (without any trailing cables) and small tripods can be used, the site cannot be dressed and the production must not  impact on regular visitors to the sites.

For a larger-scale student productions involving a crew of five or more, please fill in an application form. We will consider each application, and if no special arrangements are required we will endeavour to waive any fees other than admission charges. You will also need to provide us with a risk assessment and a copy of your school, college or university’s Public Liability Insurance. Finally, your school, college or university will need to sign our Location Agreement.

If you’re looking to book a free of charge education visit, please visit our Education section to fill in the education booking form. As long as you adhere to the school or learning provider’s internal policies on filming and photography, you are welcome to take photos or film footage to document the day, and do not need to complete any forms for permission!

Please note that some of the sites are closed over the winter, and it will not be possible to carry out filming or photography during this time. Visit our days out pages for the sites’ opening hours.

Depending on the nature of your application, we may ask you to complete a risk assessment.

Please note that a risk assessment is not needed until your application has been discussed and agreed — and may not be needed at all!

If you are required to complete a risk assessment, think about the following:

1. Identify the hazards What is it about the activities, process, equipment or substances used that could injure you, your colleagues, participants or the public at the event.

2. Who might be harmed? Is the hazard more dangerous for your colleagues setting up the event, for the general public attending the event, for people with restricted mobility, for the facilitators running the event or for any others?

3. Evaluate the risks The risk rating matrix, available to download from this page, can help with evaluating the likelihood and severity of the risk.

4. Mitigate the risks Think about measures to take to decrease the risks — e.g. if you have cables running along the floor, covering the cables with mats will decrease the risk of trips and falls.

5. Re-evaluate the risks Re-evaluate the risks in light of the mitigation measures you’ve implemented. The score should come down.