The Normans first saw the potential and established an early 'ringwork' castle at Cilgerran, but the imposing masonry castle we see today was probably the work of William Marshal, Earl of Pembroke.
Cilgerran is first mentioned by name in 1165, when the Lord Rhys captured the castle. It was retaken by William Marshal in 1204, only to be taken again by the Welsh during Llywelyn the Great's campaigns in 1215. However, eight years later, William's son, another William, regained control.
Traditionally, medieval castles were designed with a keep or strong tower at the centre but Cilgerran Castle is unusual because two massive round towers were erected instead. These, despite Owain Glyndŵr's best efforts, still stand to a good height today.
Getting there - Road: A478 and A484 to Cilgerran. Rail: Haverfordwest 31 mls/50km Swansea - West Wales line. Bus: 3m/5km Cardigan, route no. 412 Haverfordwest - Cardigan.