The museum occupies the old Risca Collieries Workmen's Institute, a Grade 2 listed building opened in 1916.
After the colliery closed in 1967, it was used as the local benefits office for many years. When it was purchased by the local authority in 1995 using European Heritage money, the museum was installed on the ground floor.
The museum is run by volunteers from the Oxford House Industrial History Society, and receives no financial support.
Many items not usually available will be on display, including artefacts, photographs and maps, as well as the Edwardian Chemists Shop from Cardiff Bay and the 1834 printing press which operated in Risca.
On Sunday 29 September there will be a short walk and talk on the Risca Long Bridge (maximum 1 hour, flat ground) starting from the museum at 1pm.
The museum is in Grove Road, Risca, NP11 6GN.
The museum is on bus routes 151 and 56, the Newport to Blackwood service, and is about 800 yards north of the Risca and Pontymister railway station on the Cardiff to Ebbw Vale line. There is a free public car park within 100 yards.
Also taking part in Open Doors are Risca Choir, which occupies the old Risca Urban District Council offices, and the Risca Parish Church of St Mary's, both within walking distance.