The current Risca Parish Church was built in 1852 in a Gothic revival style. However, it replaced an earlier church on the same site and, during demolition of the earlier building, Roman remains were discovered in the foundations. Whilst a church is likely to have existed since the 12th century, it has been suggested that the site may be of Celtic origin.
There are three separate Grade 2 listed structures: the church itself, the entrance gateway and the remains of a churchyard cross.
The parish records of Baptisms, Marriages and Burials will be available for inspection.
There will be a leaflet detailing some of the more important monuments in the church, including the magnificent stained glass window commemorating the mining history of the parish. Another leaflet will highlight the location of interesting headstones and memorials in the churchyard, including two brothers who died in the 1860 Black Vein Colliery explosion.
Refreshments will be available.
Address - St. Mary's Street, Risca, NP11 6HB.
The church is on St. Mary's Street, immediately opposite a bus stop on the route of the Newport to Blackwood service numbers 151 and 56. There is a small adjacent car park and street parking is available close by.
Also taking part in Open Doors are Risca Museum and Risca Choir.