St. Mary’s Church is a small Grade II* listed ancient church and, although there is no specific date, it is thought to be medieval.
There is an ornately carved 13th century coffin lid set against the north wall of the chancel. There is a small oval 12th century decorated font with a wooden cover and a 16th century bell. A simple wooden rood screen separates the nave and the chancel.
In the eastern part of the churchyard is the grave of Maurice Wilks of Tros Afon (1904 – 1963), inventor of the Land Rover.
Address - St. Mary’s, Llanfair yn y Cwmwd, Gaerwen, Anglesey, LL61 6AX. SH 446667
The church is situated almost a mile north of Llangeinwen Church, just outside the village of Dwyran. It can be found down a small lane between Llangeinwen Church and the nearby petrol filling station.
Wheelchair access is available.
The Church will be open and stewarded on Saturday 28 September between 10am and 3pm. A simple quiz will be available linking all six Churches in the Bro Dwynwen Ministry Area.
These six churches which make up the Bro Dwynwen Ministry Area, S. W. Anglesey, will all be open on the same day. They are generally only open during service times.
There is a service bus which follows the route - no. 42 or 42A, Gwynfor’s Coaches, Bangor to Llangefni. Llanidan and Llangeinwen are accessible on this route (please ask the driver to stop at the church) but, for Llanfairpwll, Llanedwen, Llanfair yn y Cwmwd and Newborough, there is a reasonably long walk from the A4080.
|Sat 28 Sep 2019||
10:00 - 15:00