Hen Dŷ Cwrdd (The Old Meeting House), is listed Grade II, and is the earliest nonconformist cause in the Cynon Valley. The first chapel was built in a field belonging to the old farm of Gadlys Uchaf, with the lease granted on 5 March 1751 by Theophilus Richards and revised by his son Richard Richards on 12 December 1796.
The current chapel was rebuilt in 1862 to the design of architect Evan Griffiths Jnr of Aberdare, and it was designed to be “simple and strong, reflecting Unitarian beliefs in liberty, tolerance and forbearance”. It is a medium-sized chapel which seats 250-300.
Addoldai Cymru has recently completed restoration work on the chapel, as part of a project worth just under £250k, funded by the National Lottery Heritage Fund. In addition to restorative works both to the interior and exterior of the building, a WC cubicle and a kitchenette were added to the chapel interior.
Addoldai Cymru will be launching a reopening event consisting of a rolling programme of items to
celebrate this reopening, as part of the Open Doors event. The day will operate on a 'drop-in' basis. The full programme will be published on the Addoldai Cymru Facebook and website when all the items have been confirmed -
www.welshchapels.wales
Address - Hen Dŷ Cwrdd, Alma Street, Trecynon, Aberdare, Rhondda Cynon Taff, CF44 8NT.
Yr Hen Dŷ Cwrdd is located on Alma Street and highly visible from the road side. There is no dedicated parking, but there should be street parking available.
No booking required.
| Day | Times |
|---|---|
| Sat 05 Sep 2026 |
11:00 - 15:00
|