This site is now open to view or visit.
In line with Welsh Government advice and guidance, we have started to reopen a selection of our unstaffed heritage sites in a safe and controlled way — for the benefit of local communities.
We are pleased to announce that this monument is now open and is free to view or visit with no pre-booking required. Please adhere to our new visitation guidelines, act responsibly and be respectful towards the site and its local area at all times.
Site opening times, parking and other available facilities at our reopened sites may have changed. Please check this site’s webpage carefully for specific updates.
For further information on what to expect and how to stay safe during your visit, please read our FAQs page.
Extensive remains of medieval town walls
Built by Norman lord Roger Bigod III between 1272 and 1278 at the same time as he was making improvements to the castle, Chepstow’s walls remain an impressive feature of today’s town. Standing up to 13ft/4m high, they originally stretched for almost three quarters of a mile from the west end of the castle all the way to the River Wye in the south, enclosing the medieval town, port and large open area of orchards and meadows.
Extensive sections of the wall still stand, along with the town gate and remains of several of the 10 semi-circular towers that stood at regular intervals.