A site of power – both religious and industrial
Along with Llanthony Priory and Tintern Abbey, the ruins of Neath Abbey are the most important and impressive monastic remains in south-east Wales. Founded in 1130 by Norman knight Sir Richard de Granville, by the late 13th century it had become one of Wales’s wealthiest abbeys.
Around 50 monks lived here, alongside an even larger number of lay brothers who worked at the abbey’s estates on tasks which probably included mining coal for domestic use. Much later, the heavy hand of the Industrial Revolution was almost its downfall, the abbey becoming a copper smelting plant with furnaces, workshops and workers’ dwellings, and having an ironworks as its next-door neighbour.
Thankfully it survived this ignominious episode.
Virtually the entire layout of the abbey and its buildings can still be seen today, confirming the sheer scale of this prosperous religious settlement.
Neath Abbey Survey: terms & conditions and privacy notice
Last admission 30 minutes before closing
Closed 24, 25, 26 December and 1 January
Car park 30m from entrance to monument (approx. 4 cars).
There are no dedicated disabled spaces.
Dogs on leads welcome to access ground floor levels of the site.
Cadw do not allow drone flying from or over its guardianship sites, except by contractors commissioned for a specific purpose, who satisfy stringent CAA criteria, have the correct insurances and are operating under controlled conditions.
Smoking is not permitted.
Postcode SA10 7DW