Access to Old Beaupre Castle is across privately owned farmland. Please be aware there may be livestock within the fields particularly during the spring and summer seasons.
Please keep all pets on leads and do not approach any animals on your journey.
Medieval manor with extravagant Tudor additions and status symbols
Despite the name and its medieval origins, Old Beaupre is really more manor house than castle. Built in two stages, the older part was constructed around 1300 while a major renovation in the 16th century by the Bassett family produced some of its most impressive remaining features.
These include the well-preserved three-storeyed gatehouse and striking porch, decorated with columns inspired by the architecture of ancient Greece and bearing the family’s heraldic crest carved in stone.
Designed to demonstrate Bassetts’ wealth and importance, these Tudor symbols of status give a revealing glimpse into how this grand property would have looked in its heyday.
Last admission 30 minutes before closing
Closed 24, 25, 26 December and 1 January
There is no dedicated parking at this site. It is possible to park up to 2 cars in the nearly St Athan Road. Please follow the tourist signage pointing to the castle; there is no public access to the castle via the farm lane.
Please read our policy information about flying drones at Cadw monuments: read the guidance
Smoking is not permitted.
Car park 250 metres from monument (approx. 3 cars). Please follow the tourist signage pointing to the castle; there is no public access to the castle via the farm lane.