Century-spanning ruins of a significant religious settlement
Founded in 1120 on the site of an earlier pre-Norman church, St Dogmael’s status as a religious centre can be seen in extensive ruins which span four centuries of monastic life. Elements of the church and cloister are 12th century in origin, while the tall west and north walls of the nave are 13th century. There’s a fine north doorway with 14th-century decoration and a north transept, built in the Tudor period.
The abbey’s restored Coach House is now home to a museum and visitor centre that sheds light on several centuries of Christian life via artefacts that take you on a journey through time. There’s also an impressive computer-generated reconstruction of the abbey at its 15th-century peak.
Last admission 30 minutes before closing
Closed 24, 25, 26 December and 1 January
Accessible toilets available at this site for visitor use.
Free car parking available for visitors.
Mostly sloping site with the abbey ruins situated at the top end of the site
Generally good access for walkers, but can be difficult for wheelchair users.
Abbey ruins within 100 metres of parking area.
Dogs on leads welcome to access ground floor levels of the site.
On-site exhibition within monument.
Gift shop at this site offering a range of products and guidebooks.
Site guidebook available to purchase online and in selected visitor centres.
Cadw do not allow drone flying from or over its guardianship sites, except by contractors commissioned for a specific purpose, who satisfy stringent CAA criteria, have the correct insurances and are operating under controlled conditions.
Light refreshments are available.
Visitor toilets are available at this site.
A video presentation is available at this site.
Postcode SA43 3DX
For further information, please contact: Traveline Cymru on 0871 200 2233 or National Rail Enquiries on 08457 48 49 50