As of Monday 14 December all staffed and unstaffed monuments will be closed until further notice.
This is following the announcement of the closure of all outdoor attractions in Wales.
For further information on the Welsh Government’s written statement: Updated Covid-19 control plan for Wales, please visit: gov.wales/written-statement-updated-covid-control-plan-wales
Until we can welcome you back in person, why not explore our 3D world of Cadw sites ...
Magnificent medieval palace that rivalled its cathedral for glory
There was only one top job for an ambitious cleric in medieval Wales: Bishop of St Davids in Pembrokeshire.
A 12th-century pope had decreed that two trips to St Davids were equal to one to Rome – turning it into a centre of pilgrimage for the entire Western world. Thousands flocked to see the shrine of St David in the newly built cathedral.
But the bishop’s home was no match for this magnificence. Enter Henry de Gower. Between 1328 and 1347 he turned a building only fit for ‘servants and animals’ into an immense palace.
The east range was his private domain. The south range was for show and ceremony. It was here in the great hall that Bishop Henry dispensed justice, held feasts and welcomed distinguished pilgrims.
The Reformation marked the beginning of the end. In fact William Barlow, first Protestant Bishop of St Davids, may well have stripped the lead from the roofs himself to spark a slow decline. But even as a ruin this palace beside its glorious cathedral remains an awe-inspiring space.
Buy your guidebook online today
10% off for Cadw members!
Prices & Tickets
Toilets are located on site at ground floor level. Male, female and disabled (ramped) unit.
Toilets available with baby changing facilities.
Bike storage area available in car park or close to the monument.
Principal car park (Merivale) is a short walk along surfaced road, with some slopes. (approx. 300 metres)
Approx. space for 100 cars and several disabled car spaces.
Parking outside monument is not restricted but becomes very busy, particularly during school holidays and on Sundays.
However, it can be used as a drop off point.
Mostly level with some gentle slopes. Access throughout ground floor level is good.
Paths around the courtyard, surfaced with bedded gravel are wheelchair/buggy friendly.
Steps down to undercrofts/vaults. First floor accessible via flights of steps
Dogs on leads welcome to access ground floor levels of the site.
On-site exhibition within monument.
Gift shop at this site offering a range of products and guidebooks.
Site guidebook available to purchase online and in selected visitor centres.
Cadw do not allow drone flying from or over its guardianship sites, except by contractors commissioned for a specific purpose, who satisfy stringent CAA criteria, have the correct insurances and are operating under controlled conditions.
Smoking is not permitted.
Picnic benches and /or tables are available for visitor use.
A portable induction loop is available.
Visitor toilets are available at this site.
This site is available to hire for events, filming and exhibitions.
Water refill station available at this site.
Postcode SA62 6PE.
For further information, please contact: Traveline Cymru on 0871 200 2233 or National Rail Enquiries on 08457 48 49 50.
Telephone 01437 720517
High St, St Davids, Haverfordwest SA62 6PE