Cae Canol Mawr is a remote grade II* stone and slate-built cottage, located on the thousand feet contour below the Manod mountain in Ffestiniog, surrounded by farm land. The views from the property stretch to the coast at Porthmadog.
Dencrochronology dates the property as being built in 1532. In the 19th century it was used as a tenant farm as part of the Tan y Bwlch estate. In 1947 the house, one field and an outbuilding - Cae Canol Bach - were sold, and from then on the property has passed through a number of owners.
The annex and Cae Canol Bach have been renovated for holiday accommodation.
Visitors will be free to look around the property and surrounding land, with volunteers available to answer any questions. Refreshments will be available in the garden - weather permitting.
Visitors wishing to visit the property will need to book as there are a limited number of parking spaces. Walkers are welcome. Call Caroline Lorenz on 07974 639155 or email on email@example.com
Address: Cae Canol Mawr, Cwm Tiegl, Blaenau Ffestiniog, LL41 4RF.
Directions - buses and trains to Blaenau Ffestiniog. Infrequent buses to Llan Ffestiniog.
Travelling by car - turn off the A470 onto the B4391, then take the next left . At T junction turn right and follow the road under the railway bridge. Go over the cattle grid, take the right hand fork and park along the side of the road. The property is about one mile's walk from this point. Further directions will be provided on booking