Hen Dŷ Cwrdd is a Grade II listed building standing within its walled graveyard at the centre of the village of Cefncoedycymer. It is the oldest nonconformist cause in the Merthyr area and has been a centre of religious, educational and social influence since the congregation (an offshoot of the Dissenting Congregation of Cwmglo-Blaencanaid) first gathered in 1747. The chapel interior is of pitch pine, galleried on three sides and with a pulpit of ample dimensions on the fourth. The graveyard contains the grave of Lucy Thomas and husband Robert, the grave of Matthew Wayne, and two Commonwealth War Graves.
Visitors will be given an informal tour of the building. There are a number of wall tablets in the lobby and there will be an exhibition of various historical papers, books, photographs and records, with a display covering the chapel’s history. The chapel houses the Isaac family bible from Ysgubor Newydd, Manmoel and the chair-pulpit used for services at the farmstead. On Sunday evening (6–7 pm) there will be a service of worship (in English) which will focus on the chapel’s historical background.
Hen Dŷ Cwrdd Unitarian Chapel Old Chapel Road, Cefncoedycymer, Merthyr Tydfil CF48 2PR
At intersection of A470 and A465 at Cefncoedycymer, take A465 (in an easterly direction) for approx. 100m then leave along the slip road. At Tabor chapel turn right along High Street. At Lord Raglan ph (just before pedestrian crossing) turn right along Old Chapel Road. Bus Service (Not Sunday) Merthyr Bus Station — Stand 6 – Route 25 (CefnCoed/Trefechan) every 15 min.
There are two shallow steps at the Chapel entrance where wheelchair users may require assistance. The graveyard is unsuited to wheelchair access. There are limited toilet facilities.