Skip to main content

The redundant church of St Jerome’s is renowned for its late 15th-century screen, one of the finest in southern Wales.

The 19th-century restoration was carried out between 1863 and 1878 and supervised by J.P. Seddon.

The early medieval ‘Green Men’ of St Jerome’s are also of exceptional interest, not least of all for their fine carving. It was these carvings which lead to the first coining of the name ‘Green Man’ in the 1930s by Lady Raglan. Prior to this, they had simply been known as “foliate heads”.

The church is now in the care of the Friends of Friendless Churches. Free fact sheets on the history and conservation of the building will be available. Address: St Jerome, Llangwm Uchaf, Monmouthshire, NP15 1HA.      SO 43291 00557. Off B4235. Note: SatNav takes you to the other church in the village. To find St Jerome's - continue east along the road which winds to the church. Very steep stepped access down to church. Parking limited.


Prices

Free