The earliest religious cell on this site probably dates from the 7th century. A medieval church was demolished in 1852 and the present church was built, designed by Henry Kennedy. The village had grown in importance due to the building of the Menai Suspension Bridge and the A5 Road, and a larger church was considered necessary by the then Rector, the Rev’d Thomas Jones Williams.
The church is Grade II listed. The stained glass window in the east wall is dedicated to the memory of the first Marquess of Anglesey. The churchyard contains a memorial to those who lost their lives during the construction of the Britannia Railway Bridge. Looking towards the Menai Strait it is possible to see a statue of Nelson erected in 1873.
Address - St. Mary’s Church, Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey, LL61 6AD. SH 537713
The church stands at the end of a narrow lane about 0.2 miles south of the main A5 road on the east side of the village of Llanfairpwllgwyngyll.
No wheelchair access available.
The Church will be open and stewarded on Saturday 28 September between 10am and 4pm. Tea, coffee and light refreshments will be served and a simple quiz will be available linking all six churches in the Bro Dwynwen Ministry Area.
These six churches which make up the Bro Dwynwen Ministry Area, S. W. Anglesey, will all be open on the same day. They are generally only open during service times.
There is a service bus which follows the route - no. 42 or 42A, Gwynfor’s Coaches, Bangor to Llangefni. Llanidan and Llangeinwen are accessible on this route (please ask the driver to stop at the church) but, for Llanfairpwll, Llanedwen, Llanfair yn y Cwmwd and Newborough, there is a reasonably long walk from the A4080.