Howell’s School is a Grade II* listed building. It was designed by the architect Decimus Burton and was built in 1858/9. The oldest girls’ school in Wales, it retains many of its original features. Since then there have been many additions including the recently restored Great Hall (1900), designed by the diocesan architect George Halliday and containing murals by the Western Mail political cartoonist J. M. Staniforth. The school estate includes other Victorian properties, including Cumberland Lodge, a boyhood home of Roald Dahl, and Bryntaf, home of the draper David Morgan, with its oak-panelled walls and Billiards Room.
Doors open at 10am for tea/coffee and a chance to look at the school museum and the ”Then and Now” slide presentation. A tour of the school including the newly-restored Great Hall starts at 10.30am. It will end by 12.30pm but visitors may leave earlier if they do not wish to see Cumberland Lodge and Bryntaf.
Address: Howell's School, Cardiff Rd., Llandaff, Cardiff, CF5 2YD.
Directions - Heading into Cardiff from Llandaff village, the school is on the main road (A4119) on the right hand side, about 200-300 yards from Western Avenue, and immediately before a lights-controlled pedestrian crossing. Passing buses include numbers 24, 25, 33A, 60, 62, 122 and 124.
Entry to the school involves climbing about six steps, which are fairly shallow. The tour is not suitable for anyone with very limited mobility. There is only one lift because of the age of the building, and that one gives access to the Great Hall. The museum and most of the rooms of interest are on the ground floor. The Billiards Room in Bryntaf is on the first floor