This small village church, rebuilt in 1868, has several features that can be dated back to pre-reformation times. Evidence supports the possibility of a Celtic church being established on this site some time in the Dark Ages.
For a small church it has lots of local history and interest. The Norman Font is still being used. Some historical facts can be traced as far as the twelfth century.
For Open Doors, there'll be refreshments in the Church Hall opposite, a local art demonstration, a talk on the history of the church by a local historian, and the registers will be available to view.
Address - St Illtyd's Church, Llanharry Road, Llanharry, Pontyclun, CF72 9HZ.
Directions - regular bus service no 44/144 from Talbot Green, or Bridgend. Easily accessible from Junction 34 M4, then continue on the Cowbridge road, turning right through Brynsadler. Also accessible from Junction 36 M4 - follow road to Llantrisant and turn right from Llanharan.