The Market Hall has long been at the heart of Holyhead’s town centre and community life. The Grade II listed building was commissioned for local traders by local landowner William Owen Stanley. Built in 1855 the Market Hall has had many uses over the years beyond just a market, including a mechanic’s library, hosting the Court of sessions, militia barracks through to providing entertainment as a boxing and wrestling match venue and latterly a furniture store and a fruit and vegetable shop before it shut its gates in 2000.
With funding from the National Lottery Heritage Fund, Welsh Government and the European Union, the County Council took the lead to save the building from potential collapse, securing ownership after a successful Compulsory Purchase Order in 2015 facilitating plans for its revitalisation, placing the Market Hall once again at heart of the community.
After nine years of negotiation, developing proposals, securing funding and planning the refurbishment of the Market Hall, works finally commenced in early 2016 with the refurbishment of the evocative original front iron gates. The building reopened its doors once again to the public on September 2nd 2019, now housing Holyhead Library, a local history centre, meeting rooms with commercial and coffee shop space available to rent, with proposals for extensive heritage interpretation in development.
Guided tours around the newly refurbished Market Hall. Maximum 20 per group. Booking is essential via email@example.com or call 01248 752407. 12 noon start. Five guided 45 minute tours, starting at 1pm, 2pm, 3pm, 4pm and the last tour at 5pm
Address: Market Hall, Stanley Street, Holyhead LL65 1HH, using the front main entrance only.
The Market Hall is accessible to all with an access ramp to the front, an internal lift and ramp, disabled toilets and a changing places facility.